Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Family Fun

I began doing some family research in anticipation of my mother's 80th birthday about seven years ago. At the time I didn't find much on her family, but found a great deal of eyebrow-raising information about my father's side of the tree.

What a twisted and gnarled tree it has turned out to be - on both sides. My generation has always joked that we are pretty twisted, but we have nothing on the previous generations! I guess we come by it honestly.

I have tried to share a lot of my discoveries with the brothers, but they are fairly flippant about it, but as I learn more some of the patterns are repetitious and others I am glad to say that I believe we've broken them. I suppose that most families have their cuckoo nests when you dig a little and it is likely a numbers game. We're a pretty fertile bunch, so the odds are in our favour that we would have more than those who chose to have smaller families.

What really interests me is how I could possibly weave this into a story and show the connections from generation to generation. Additionally, how much is simple genetics and how much is learned behavior?

This is what keeps me thinking the last little while as I have acquainted myself with some relatives that I have just introduced myself to.

No comments:

Post a Comment